Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge value?

Fox guns for sale or direct references to guns for sale may not be posted here. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal gun that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the gun is for sale. Please note that references to guns posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Gun "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature, towards the seller of said firearm. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services

Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge value?

Postby micah6036 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Hello. I am a new owner of a Fox Sterlingworth. I acquired this gun from a close friend and would like to know the value and any important info regarding this gun. I know VERY little about shotguns in general and would appreciate any and all help! Thank you!

These are the numbers and names I found on the gun.

Fox Sterlingworth

Found this on the trigger SN - 374771

This was on the barrel -

special alloy - forged steel
savage arms corporation, utica, N.Y. U.S.A.

Proof tested - 16 gauge - 2 3/45 Inch Chamber

374771 - SP - U X 3 V

What does all of this mean?

micah6036

Re: Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge value?

Postby loggy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 am

A good way to determine a value is to look online at websites such as gunsinternational.com or gunbroker.com. They should have today's prices for similar guns. Enjoy your new gun and welcome to the world of Foxes!
loggy

Postby micah6036 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 am

I will do that. Thank you!
micah6036

Postby Researcher » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:39 pm

I thought I'd replied to this last night, but now I find I did that on Shotgunworld --

The SP in the oval is the Savage Proof Mark. The V, 3, X and U are all inspector's marks the meaning of which have been lost to the sands of time.

According to the published serial number chronology, 374771 would be a 1938 vintage gun. I don't have much faith in that chronology, and guns that I've had lettered that have the "Proof Tested -- 16 Gauge - 2 3/4 inch chamber" have been 1939 and later. The only way to know anything for sure is to get a letter on your gun from the Savage historian --

John T. Callahan Arms Historian P.O. Box 82 Southampton, MA 01073. Provide the serial number, gauge, and grade and enclose a check for $30 for Sterlingworths and $40 for graded guns. You will receive a letter in 4-8 weeks.

Looks like you have a nice unmolested late Savage-era Fox-Sterlingworth. Do not let anyone but a qualified professional with the proper hollow ground screwdrivers touch those unmolested screws!! I'm pretty sure most of the dealers are asking a lot more than $1150 for that nice a smallbore Fox-Sterlingworth. What is the barrel length?
Share the knowledge
Researcher

Return to Fox Collectors Forum